Requirements to be a semen donor
- Aged between 18 and 35.
- To be of sound mind.
- Must be of good health, both physically and mentally.
- Must not have family medical background related to malformations caused by chromosomopathies, genopathies or metabolopathies.
- Must not have fathered six children or more.
- The donor and his family must not have any genetic illness that could indicate a risk of abnormalities in the baby.
- The donor must not have had a piercing or a tattoo done within the last six months before the donation.
Preliminary studies done by the Centre
The possible donors will undergo a thorough medical and psychological examination and their medical history will also be checked. The obligatory tests that have to be done are:
- Blood group and RH.
- Screening for hepatitis.
- HIV markers.
- Cariotype in peripheral blood.
- Study for the detection of toxoplasmosis, rubella, the herpes virus and citomegalovirus, Cystic fibrosis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamidia trachomatis.
Recombine Genetic Test:
- Alpha thalassemia
- Beta thalassemia
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Haemoglobinopathies (4: Hb, C, D, E & O)
- There is the possibility of performing the recombine test on the recipient and doing genetic matching with the potential donor, in order to rule out the transmission of 300 recessive genetic diseases.
Donors will be compensated for the trouble and the journey to the Centre, as well as for the time spent on the donation.
- First step: informative visit. After receiving the information the possible donor decides whether to leave his personal information or not.
- Second step: test on the semen and test of freezing. If it is correct, we continue with the protocol. If not, the possible donor is informed about the causes.
- Third step: visit to the doctor and the psychologist. Blood sample for the test. Second sample of semen for culture.
- Forth step: if all the results are correct the period of donation starts. The donor brings one or two samples every week which are checked and frozen. When the delivery of the samples finishes (from 10 to 15), there has to be a last visit six months after the last donation to do the final tests.
Rules for the collection of semen for testing
- Timetable for the delivery of samples: from Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 11 am.
- Maintain sexual abstinence 3 days before the delivery of the sample. It is important not to have semen loss during this period, neither through a coitus nor masturbation, etc...
- After washing your hands, you must collect the sample in a sterile receptacle specified by the laboratory. Condoms are not a valid means.
- The sample must be complete. If a part of it is lost during the collection, it must be repeated after 3 days of abstinence.
- Deliver the sample to the laboratory within the first hour after the extraction. It is important to analyse it as soon as possible.
- If you have any queries, please call the laboratory +34 972 217 407